Join our team if you believe you can expand the lens on contemporary youth culture in India: art, fashion, music, photography, film, creativity, inclusive beauty, street culture through a strong lens of identity.
I. Culture Writer: [Editorial
II. Culture Editor: [Editorial]
III. Creative/Culture Strategist: [Marketing]
Paid internship positions:
I. Marketing Internship
II. Editorial Internship
About HG: We look for artists who work with taboo topics like sexuality, gender. Those who are underrepresented, underfunded, unknown. We look for entrepreneurs with side-hustles, with success stories, failure stories with spunk. We look for identity-driven narratives that paint a picture of the socio-political struggles of our youth in this country. We look for street-culture and the people shaping it: the fashion designers, the b-boy and hip hop dance groups, the skateboard and rap crews. We look for reminders of the past, of history, of nostalgia. We look for intimacy, for authenticity, for voice. We look for creators who are driving the creative economy around the country. We look for narratives untold. We are the undercurrents of Indian youth culture; we are what’s next, and we are what should be next.
As a Creative Agency, a Content Studio, and an Experiential Arm, we have partnered with over 140 leading brands like Nike, Adidas, Puma, Bacardi, Converse, Gshock, HP, Fila, HDFC Life, Unicef, ABinBev – Budweiser, Hoegaarden, Corona, Diageo, AirBnB, Levis, CRED, The Taj Group, Audi, Royal Enfield, and several other brands on content, brand campaigns, influencer, and event marketing in the past 6 years.
Find more about us at:
www.instagram.com/homegrownin (Main Account)
www.instagram.com/homegrownstreet (Lifestyle & Street Culture Account)
I. Culture Editor (5-7 years of relevant experience)
At Homegrown, we look for artists who work with lesser-talked about and taboo topics like sexuality, gender, identity, and the likes. We talk about those who are underrepresented, underfunded, unknown. We look for entrepreneurs with side-hustles, with success stories, and failure stories with spunk. We are always on the lookout for identity-driven narratives that paint a picture of the socio-political struggles of our youth in this country. We look for street-culture and the people shaping it: the fashion designers, the b-boy and hip hop dance groups, the skateboard and rap crews. We look for reminders of the past, of history, of nostalgia. We look for intimacy, for authenticity, for voice. We look for the creators who are driving the creative economies around the country. We look for narratives untold. We are the undercurrents of Indian youth culture; we are what’s next, and we are what should be next.
Through our digital media publication, we build the identity for emerging voices for all facets of contemporary youth culture; through our agency/content studio we connect brands with today’s youth in ways that drive culture forward; and through our experiences, we create a cultural impact on the ground. We are a platform for every facet of contemporary youth culture and influencers across lifestyle, music, fashion, art, design, culture, food, entrepreneurship, social impact and more.
Homegrown is looking for a Culture Editor. Platform agnostic.
- Sub-editing & proofreading text written by a number of authors.
- Oversee and manage day-to-day operations of in-house writers as well as a network of freelancers and contributors.
- To generate creative and compelling story ideas aligned with Homegrown’s editorial content strategy, and assigning them to writers.
- Ensuring story ideas are a mix of key themes and verticals explored by Homegrown, based on data & analytics shared.
- Writing features (number to be decided on key deliverables).
- Ensuring consistent youth culture, identity, and creative titles are built upon.
- Working to ensure call out stories, in your own voices, creative submissions are regularly pushed out on a weekly basis.
- Collaborating with the design and creative producer team to discuss illustrations, motion based content and layouts for editorial pieces.
- Developing content IPs to be explored for social, video and branded content on a regular basis.
- Continuously being on the pulse of what is going on in contemporary India in the realms of independent fashion, art, music, film, food, events & spaces.
- Developing a nuanced understanding of – Gen Z/youth culture, digital trends, social media, and the related internet landscape: youth culture and creative movements.
- Identify emerging subcultures and new communities.
- Working with audience development to understand the audience’s reception of the stories based on data.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to edit to daily deadlines, manage multiple tasks and work as part of a collaborative team
- Developing & planning weekly content strategy, by working with editorial strategist & editorial director.
- Oversee brand content partnerships to ensure both the brand’s and our integrity + distinct point of view is being maintained and deadlines are being met.
- Taking part in content ideation and understanding when filtering is required to ensure it’s within the Homegrown voice.
- Maintaining an evolving and current bank of stories and story ideas.
- Ability to repurpose content across these platforms.
- Design innovative solutions to optimise content coverage.
- Work closely with the SEO and digital marketing team to understand and extract key trends, topics and themes that will help us engage our target audience.
- Ensuring all content gaps in the space of culture & lifestyle are covered via editorial content.
- Manage the content and copy approval process across all verticals and maintain a consistent voice and tone throughout all digital channels and assets.
- Producing or working to a style checklist to ensure consistency in hyphenation, capitalization, formatting of references, etc.
- Retrieving articles from archives and reworking them for publication.
- 4+ years copy editing & feature writing experience for print and/or online publications
- Excellent English skills, both spoken and written. Flawless spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- An understanding of the special requirements for writing online, including the use of keywords, hyperlinks, navigation, SEO and the importance of brevity.
- To be on the pulse of contemporary youth culture and the emerging trends in the creative industries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills across the board to work between teams, as well as external affiliate partners.
- A strong sense of identity and understanding of emerging Indian subcultures.
- To have the ability to work in a creative, nimble startup, managing tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational, project, and time management skills.
- Sound editorial judgement with an understanding of which brands and products are relevant to Homegrown’s readership
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
II. Culture Writer (1-2 years of relevant experience)
People applying for the writing position should see the potential of what we’re trying to build. Are you singularly obsessed with next-generation Indian creatives and excited to document the shifting energy across the country? Do you have great instincts about emerging Indian subcultures whether it’s skateboarding or other hip-hop ancillaries? Do you have a strong sense of identity and understanding about independent fashion, art, travel, food, events, and spaces, not to mention an insatiable appetite for discovery that translates into your topic identifying, writing and editing skills?
If yes, we want to meet you. We’re looking for someone who is continuously on the pulse of what is going on in contemporary India, across cities, and is truly passionate about identifying and documenting these stories/ spearheading this space. You should also be unafraid to work in a fast-paced digital environment.
Here’s how you can apply:
1. Email your resume with cover letter to email@example.com. Subject: (The role you want to apply)
2. Mention the notice period you may be completing in your current role.